Monday, July 2, 2012

The Boxy Button Down

The good old reliable....

http://www.glamour.com/images/fashion/2009/03/0401-white-button-down-shirt_li.jpg
There is so much to love about it - easy, instantly professional, and such a forgiving cut.  BUT the button down can also look boxy, boring, and masculine!  I try to avoid this pitfall by pairing my solid button downs with a brightly colored or metallic belt and complimentary jewelry.  If I leave my shirt out, I wear the belt over the shirt and up high, near my natural waist.  If I tuck the shirt in, I just wear the belt through my pants belt loops.  I really like this particular outfit below because the belt, earrings, and bracelet are all quite simple, but clearly add refinement to the look.


http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00tMfQyiBJEnqL/Women-s-Button-Down-Shirt.jpg


For more tips on how to soften the look of a button down, there are tons of videos on youtube.  I like the video below because the girl starts with a plain white button down just like the one at the top of the post and gives five different ways to wear it. I like the layered look, the skinny belt on top, and the cardigan with the cuffed sleeves over top.  Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment